Suicide is the act of intentionally terminating one’s own life. It mostly happens when a person is suffering from depression, substance abuse, shame, avoiding pain, financial difficulties or other undesirable fates.
Just few weeks ago one of my neighbors committed suicide but the cause is still unknown. While most who commit suicide leave some suicide notes, she never did. This brought me to question. Why do they need to do such thing like that?
Many believe that Depression, is a common phenomenon amongst those who die by suicide.
Other factors that may be related are as follows (note that this is not meant as a comprehensive list, but rather as a summary of notable causes):
- Suffering (e.g. physical or emotional agony that is not correctable)
- Stress (e.g. grief after the death of a loved one)
- Crime (e.g. escaping judicial punishment and the dehumanisation and boredom of incarceration; self-punishment due to guilt)
- Mental illness (e.g. depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or post traumatic stress disorder)
- Catastrophic injury (e.g. paralysis, disfigurement, loss of limb)
- Adverse environment (e.g. sexual abuse, domestic abuse, poverty, homelessness, bullying, social isolation, discrimination)
- Financial loss (e.g. loss of job/assets, debts)
- Self sacrifice reasons (e.g. a soldier throwing his body on a grenade) (this is not considered suicide by some because the individual does not have the goal of ending his or her life per se, but rather shielding others from harm at the possible risk of losing their own life)
- Accidental suicide (e.g. while playing Russian roulette)
- Unresolved or unresolvable sexual issues (e.g. sexism, sexual orientation, gender dysphoria, unrequited love, aftermath of a break up, involuntary celibacy, acquiring an incurable sexually transmitted infection (HIV, herpes, HPV))
- To avoid shame or dishonour (e.g. the Bushido ideal, under which a disgraced samurai could regain his honor by performing seppuku)
- Terrorism can also be a motive for suicide, especially when related to religion (e.g. suicide bombings)
- Extreme nationalism (e.g. the Kamikaze, Selbstopfer, and Kaiten suicide weapons)
- Philosophical belief that life has no inherent value (e.g. absurdism, pessimism, nihilism)
- Religious cults (e.g. Heaven’s Gate and Peoples Temple)
- Loneliness especially when prolonged.